In the ever-changing landscape of the hospitality industry, hoteliers face a pressing challenge: maintaining efficient operations while keeping labor costs under control. With occupancy rates rebounding and labor shortages persisting, self-checkout hotel lobby markets have emerged as a valuable solution to address these issues. This article explores why self checkout is crucial in a hotel lobby market and how it benefits both guests and hoteliers.
1. Labor will remain a challenge
As the world recovers from the pandemic, the hotel industry has witnessed a gradual increase in occupancy rates. However, this growth has been overshadowed by a significant decline in the workforce. According to the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA), the industry is projected to reach an occupancy rate of 63.8% in 2023, slightly below pre-pandemic levels. Nonetheless, more than 260,000 employees are still missing compared to 2019. This scarcity of labor has put tremendous pressure on the existing workforce, affecting service levels and guest experiences.
Additionally, labor costs have been escalating, compounding the challenge further. According to STR, labor costs grew at a compound monthly rate of 3.7% in 2022. As hotels seek to recover from the financial strain of the pandemic, finding a balance between maintaining a skilled workforce and controlling expenses is imperative.
2. Lobby markets are here to stay
During the pandemic, lobby markets emerged as a lifeline for hotels when other food and beverage outlets were closed. However, what started as a necessity has now become a preferred choice for guests. Even after the pandemic, the popularity of lobby markets has continued to grow steadily.
Today’s consumers prefer more frequent but smaller meals and snacks, as reported by Mondelez. Lobby markets are well-suited to meet this demand, offering a wide variety of convenient and grab-and-go options that cater to individual preferences.
3. Guests want self-service technology
The need for contactless services has become a top priority for guests in the wake of the pandemic. Embracing self-service technology, such as self-checkout kiosks in the hotel lobby market, provides a viable solution for minimizing contact with staff and other guests. According to a survey by Oracle and Skift, an overwhelming 73% of guests are more likely to stay at a hotel that offers self-service options.
Furthermore, data from GrabScanGo highlights an essential insight: 60% of all lobby market purchases occur between 7 pm and 7 am when hotels typically have fewer staff on duty. Implementing self-checkout solutions empowers guests to make purchases conveniently, regardless of the time of day, without any dependence on the availability of hotel staff.
% of Market Purchases vs Time of Day
The Advantages of Self Checkout in Hotel Lobby Markets
- Enhanced Guest Experience: Self-checkout kiosks reduce waiting times and offer a seamless and efficient purchasing process, leading to greater guest satisfaction.
- Cost-Effective: By reducing reliance on manual labor during non-peak hours, hotels can control labor costs without compromising guest service.
- Increased Revenue: With extended hours of operation made possible by self-checkout, hotels can capture more sales and revenue during late-night and early-morning periods.
- Data Insights: Self-checkout technology can gather valuable data on guest preferences and buying patterns, enabling hotels to optimize their offerings and marketing strategies.
- Sustainable Practices: Lobby markets with self-checkout options can minimize food waste by allowing guests to choose exactly what they want in appropriate portions.
GrabScanGo Self Checkout
In conclusion, self checkout in a hotel lobby market is not just a trend; it is a necessary and transformative feature that addresses the ongoing challenges faced by the hospitality industry. By providing guests with convenient, contactless options and streamlining operations, hotels can position themselves for success in a competitive marketplace while ensuring a satisfying and memorable guest experience. Embracing self-service technology is the key to a prosperous future for both guests and hoteliers alike.
Contact us today to get a GrabScanGo Managed Lobby Market with self checkout for your hotel.